Bookish Images Monday (E. Nesbit)

Cindy of Cindy's Book Club hosts Bookish Images Monday. I thought I would participate today and focus on book covers. Specifically book covers for E. Nesbit's Five Children and It.

Covers 1 - 3. I liked the first one (left) because the period detail seems better than it is in most. It includes all five children (Lamb is in one of the girl's arms), and It. The middle one, well, there's something about it that appeals to me. Perhaps because it shows the moment of discovery? Or perhaps because it is at least trying to show some emotion? Or maybe because Lamb looks adorable? The third one is one that is definitely a bit different. The more I look at it, the more I can't decide if it's a good different or a bad different. I do like Lamb in it, however! It does NOT give you a clue what the book is about though. So there's that to consider.

Covers 4-6. The fourth cover (the left) disturbs me. Can you guess why?! The children are ALL wrong! There are supposed to be TWO girls. And they show three BOYS. Yes, Lamb is a boy, but he is a baby. The fifth cover (middle) would never be a favorite of mine. Though it is a chubby looking It! The sixth cover is just obnoxious, at least to me!

Covers 7 and 8. These two show us the Sand Fairy. One is a bit more mysterious than the other. Which is your favorite?

Covers 9 through 11. These don't exactly excite me. But they don't scream awful either. The middle one is the one I like least. You can't tell when it's that small, but there is something *frightening* about their faces. They definitely DO NOT look like children. Just look at the larger image on Amazon.

There are more covers to explore on LibraryThing.

Do you have a favorite cover? Which one is the worst?

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More