Wickham's Diary

Wickham's Diary. Amanda Grange. 2011. Sourcebooks. 208 pages.


11th July 1784, 
Fitzwilliam and I rode out early this morning. We raced down to the river and I won, beating him by a good two lengths, at which I laughed and called him a sluggard. He was annoyed and challenged me to a race back to the house. 

Amanda Grange's latest Austen-inspired novel gives voice to George Wickham. Wickham's Diary is a prequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Readers get a glimpse of Wickham as a boy and young man. As someone who is playfully mischievous and ambitious, as someone who is plotting and manipulative, and, of course, someone who is selfish! Grange presents a Wickham who knows just what to say to women to get what he wants, what he needs. A confident Wickham who loves being wicked. And oh how Wickham can justify himself!

Did I enjoy this one? Yes. Would it have been my first choice for her next book? Probably not! I've never seen the appeal of George Wickham. And I would love to see Amanda Grange do all the *real* heroes before tackling the so-called bad-boys of Austen! I would LOVE to see, for example, Mr. Tilney's Diary. Then, perhaps, she can continue her series. I would be thrilled to see Mr. Crawford's Diary!!! He is my *one* exception to Austen's "bad boys." For as I mentioned in my review of Mansfield Park, I think he's been misunderstood! And then there's Mr. Willoughby, of course.

See also my reviews of Mr. Knightley's Diary and Colonel Brandon's Diary.


© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More